entry way {update} & 5 tips on accessorizing.

Monday, February 4, 2013

I had previously posted what our entry way looked like.. but like most things it didn't last that way for long. I switched out the little bench for a table thinking it would function better & be a pretty place to display things I love. 

Here is what it looks like now 
[sorry for all the split up pictures, it's a really narrow area and SUPER hard to get a good angle for a picture.]

I get asked a lot about how to accessorize, or rather, "How do I pick what to buy and what goes together?"



1. It is all in the layers, proportion, and the texture. As you can see here the chippy paint, the ruffles, the glass, the greenery, the burlap banner, the chevron stool, the chalkboard.
Each adds a layer of texture that brings interest & depth.

2. Add interest. You can highlight certain things like I highlighted the little greenery under the cloche. It just makes it a tad more interesting.

3. Vary height of accessories. I like to do things like stack mason jars on top of old books, or in this case I stacked my lamp on top of them for some added height so it would be the right proportion for the space.


4. Buy smart. When it comes to choosing what to buy I usually stick with versatile accessories that I know I can move around my home & be happy with the results. I try to not get "themey" if you catch  my drift. Because if you buy an apple print, while it's cute... it would more than likely look out of place anywhere besides a kitchen.
On the other hand, something such as a bird print or subway art can be used in many different spaces in your home.
It's all about getting more bang for your buck.

5. Choose things you absolutely love. Sometimes I just get anxious to fill a space & buy things out of haste. Usually I end up regretting it. Take time to find what you really want, it will make your life a bajillion times easier in the end, even if it takes longer to find the right pieces. I really wanted a tray for this table before, I still do, but I haven't ran across the right one yet... so I just added more pretty things to compensate [kidding... kind of]


I love how it hints at Valentine's day but is still VERY fresh & light.
What do you think?

I bought the entry table from my friend & furniture refinishing pro Kiara from Pretty Little Finds. She is super talented & always finds the best stuff.
I built the pallet chalkboard myself with help from a friend. It was actually the very first thing I ever built myself. 
The lamp base is from Target, I embellished the shade myself, you can see the tutorial here.
I made the burlap heart banner.
The glass cloche is from Homegoods.
The "I Love You" print is from Jones Design Company.
The tulips are from Joann's.
My husband made me that teeny metal chalkboard [I have a bunch, he's awesome.]


5 comments:

Kiara and Scott Vowell said...

oh my, you are so sweet for mentioning me...THANKS! And I love your entry way, I am having a hard time figuring out how and what I want for my entry way... I also love the little bench under the table :)

Vintage Street Designs said...

Your entryway looks FABULOUS! Love the heart bunting...it's adds such a sweet touch! Hopped over from Liz Marie and I'm happy to be your newest follower. Would love to have you stop by for a visit! Blessings ~ Judy

Lauren said...

This is very pretty. I love some many things. The lamp, the chevron stool, the framed chalkboard and strpied I Love You art. I just love it all. Nice work. I am hosting a link party and would love it if you would link up. Thanks.

http://www.ifitsnotbaroquedesignblog.blogspot.com/

Melanie said...

I am in LOVE with that lamp! So sweet! I'd love for you to come link this up at my Tuesday Time Out!
Melanie Reasons To Skip The Housework

Anonymous said...

Inat TV Pro Apk offers you large amounts of movies and shows. Several movies and apps are available for streaming today, and you can access all the features

Inat TV Pro Apk